Model B is an award-winning digital marketing agency that builds the next iteration of our clients’ ideas. By bringing together the knowledge of creative thinkers, developers, digital marketers, and communications specialists, Model B provides the strategic guidance and execution our clients need to create digital masterpieces that engage with targeted audiences. We have an immediate opening for a full-time or part-time Apprentice to support the creative team at our office in downtown, Washington, DC.
Our apprenticeship program provides real-world advertising & marketing industry experience. Our program prepares apprentices to take on difficult roles in the expanding digital marketing and advertising industry. For post-graduates, the program pays an hourly fee to commensurate with applicants’ skills.
For you to be successful in this role, you will need to be open to feedback, willing to take direction, and have an entrepreneurial spirit that is constantly asking ‘how can I do this better?’
What you’ll do:
- Experience in CSS, HTML, and basic front-end development are required.
- A proficiency in PHP is preferred.
- You’ll be translating UI/UX design wireframes to actual code that will produce visual elements of the application
- You’ll need to map and develop responsive websites and web elements based on our existing framework.
- Build beautiful things all day long – of course
Who you are:
- Confident: You are a natural at conveying value, and you know how to stand your ground.
- Innovative: You are curious and excited by new ideas.
- Enthusiastic: You are energized by a fast-paced environment.
- Team player: You are comfortable working as a part of a team, but are self-motivated and committed.
- Coachable: You are receptive to guidance and exhibit a desire to learn.
- Organized: You are focused on details and keeping track of everything.
What you should have:
Our preferred candidate is familiar with both “the old way” and “the new way” when it comes to programming languages. We will be moving to a React environment in the future, and your experience with React will be important as we do so. You’ll need to diagnose, troubleshoot, and address challenges with our existing platform. Our environment is built on Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
- An understanding of database query is preferred.
- Background in digital advertising is also preferred.
Additionally, our ideal candidate is driven to task completion. Some basic experiences that would be helpful are a knowledge of social media, general information about advertising campaigns, and online social media tools. College level education with a major in computer science is less important than your abilities.
Other areas of knowledge that are important:
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
Knowledge of responsive web design
Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages with flexible and reusable code
Knowledge of how to interact with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
Understanding of PHP back-end development
Working knowledge and experience with either LAMP or MEAN
Comfortable with setting, managing, and delivering on expectations in a fast-paced environment
Familiarity with and adherence to web standards
Experience with developing large customer-facing websites
The good stuff:
The benefits for our full-time employees include:
- Laid-back, fun, and super casual office environment
Downtown location with easy metro access
Company paid professional development
Flexible paid vacations
401k with matching